Who is eligible to vote?

Any U. S. citizen 18 years old or older, who is a bona fide resident is eligible to register to vote in New Milford. A bona fide resident is one whose fixed home is in the town in which they apply and to which home or town they intend to return when they are temporarily absent. You must not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction, except conviction for the crime of nonsupport or if you have had your civil rights restored. You will need to re-register to vote when:

  • You move to a new permanent residence

  • You change your name

  • You change your political party affiliation

Seventeen-year olds may register if you will be 18 years old by election day. For more information, visit the Elections and Voting page on the Secretary of the State website.

How do I register to Vote?


There are several ways to register to vote:

  • Register online using the Secretary of State website.

  • Register in person with the Registrar of Voters on Thursdays between 4 pm and 6 pm on the lower level of Town Hall.

  • You may obtain and fill out a registration form at the Town Clerk's Office located at the Town Hall. The Clerk's office is on the 1st floor at the rear of the building.

New Milford Town Hall
10 Main Street - on the Green

Registrar of Voters Office
Phone: 860-355-6020
Fax: 860-210-2096

The Registrar's office hours are from 4 pm to 6 pm, Thursday ONLY.
You may also request a mail-in voter registration form, which you can complete, sign and mail back to the Registrar of Voters, Town Hall, 10 Main Street, New Milford, CT 06776.

Voter Registration forms can also be picked up at the New Milford Public Library or any Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles office.

How does Absentee Voting work?

Absentee Ballots are available for those persons who will not be able to vote in person on election day for the following reasons:

  • Absence from the town during all of the hours of voting.

  • Illness.

  • Religious tenets forbid secular activity on the day of the election.

  • Duty as a primary, election or referendum official at a polling place other than my own during all of the hours of voting.

  • Physical disability.

To obtain an absentee ballot, you must first obtain an application for an absentee ballot from the Town Clerk. Fill out the application and return it to the Town Clerk. The Town Clerk will then send you actual ballot kit which includes the ballot and two envelopes.

  • You may apply in person or by mail at the Town Clerk's office. The Town Clerk's office is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday thru Friday.
    Town Hall
    10 Main St
    New Milford, CT 06776

  • The ballot application form is also available online from the Secretary of State website (PDF).

The entire process of obtaining the application, returning it to the Town Clerk, filling out the actual ballot, and then mailing it back to the Town Clerk is a lengthy and time-consuming process. Allow sufficient time. Better yet, register online @ HTTPS://VOTERREGISTRATION.CT.GOV/OLVR/WELCOME.DO

Where do I go to vote?

Your voter registration can be confirmed on the Secretary of State website. Enter your name, town, and date of birth too verify your votor registration, party affiliation, and polling place location.

Polling Place Hours: 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

If you have a question about your registration, please contact Marcel R. Grenier, Democratic Registrar of Voters or Barbara Payne, Deputy Registrar of Voters at (860) 355-6026; leave a message for a return call. The Registrar of Voters office is open Thursdays from 4 pm to 6pm.

New Milford has many voting locations. Each polling place has a unique ballot that includes the districts of those who represent the people voting at that location. These include:

  • Congressional district in the Unites States House of Representatives.

  • Senatorial district in the Connecticut State Senate.

  • Representative district in the Connecticut State Legislature.

United States Senators, the Governor of Connecticut and many other elected state officials including the Secretary of State, represent everyone in the state and thus do not affect where you vote.

How do I work at the Polls during the Election Process?

Poll workers are an essential part of making sure that our democratic process functions the way it should! For more information regarding your polling place, please call: Marcel R. Grenier, Democratic Registrar of Voters or Barbara Payne, Deputy Registrar of Voters at (860) 355-6026. Leave a message for a return call or visit the office on Thursday between 4 pm and 6 pm.

How can I get involved and help make Change Happen?

Communities are made of individuals who are passionate about bringing about positive change. Positive change comes from people who care, are compassionate, and who work to bring about betterment for all. In short, change begins with you! The New Milford Democratic Town Committee offers a variety of volunteer opportunities both big and small! Find out how you can make change happen by emailing us today!: Some examples of how you can make a difference include:

  • Serving on a Board or Commission

  • Joining the DTC

  • Driving candidates door-to-door.

  • Distributing fliers.

  • Putting up yard signs.

  • Hosting a neighborhood coffee get-together.

  • Making phone calls.

  • Attend or help with one of our educational sessions

  • Come March with us for women’s rights! LGBTQIA rights! Racial Equality! Gun Sense Legislation! Strong Unions! and more

  • The tasks begin here and can continue all the way to running for office, but it starts here by volunteering to help.